Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Democratic National Convention

I've been back in Fate for a week now, mostly parked in front of the television. First it was the Olympics, then the Democratic National Convention.

On the first night, I listened to Michelle Obama talk about, uh, Michelle Obama. I learned almost nothing about Barack, other than he loves his family. Good.

On the second night, Hillary Clinton dutifully did what she needed to do to avoid being blamed if Obama was defeated. Like Michelle, Hillary spoke mostly about herself. Although she had personal praise for Biden, when she spoke of Obama it was about policy, not the man.

Last night I watched Bill Clinton state passionately that Barack Obama is ready to be president - almost as strongly as he told us that he did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. He spoke with great conviction while contradicting his own statements. You have to admire Bill Clinton's political skills - he's the best damned liar I've ever seen.

And now Barack prepares to give his acceptance speech on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech, in which he said "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Tonight we will be another step closer to that dream. Although I don't support Barack, it's certain that we are closer to Dr. King's dream than we've ever been, and that's a great thing.

It's being said that Obama will tell us precisely where he plans to take the country. OK, Barack - I'm listening.

No comments: