Friday, March 28, 2008

The Dumb Test

I recently stumbled across something called "The Dumb Test", which is at first glance a fun litte quiz full of trick questions. I've linked to the site, but DO NOT TAKE THIS TEST. Through your responses to the questions, they will derive personal data such as your sex and birthdate. To get the "results" of your test, you must enter your name and address, and your email address.

If you can find the privacy statement, you'll see that you've also just consented to let them sell all the information they've collected on you to third parties. They'll also "...use such information to deliver certain direct marketing offers to you via telemarketing, e-mail marketing, direct mail, SMS messaging and other types of direct marketing..."

Congradulations, you've just signed up to be hassled for eternity!

So, "The Dumb Test" is well-named, because if you complete it, that's what you are - regardless of what your score is. Of course, that's just one of dozens of similar "fun" tests QuizRocket publishes to surreptitiously gather information on you to sell to advertisers. Remember, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, you can always use a "virgin" e-mail account and then lie about your age, gender, and other personal data (like home phone number and address) and then let QuizRocket send stuff to someone else....

Unknown said...

...or use the personal information of someone you don't like much. But of course, that would be wrong...

Anonymous said...

I honestly think that it is a fun test, but I never do give out personal ing=formation, mainly because I dont have a cell phone number to give.

And I encourage people to ignore the last part.

But someday, I will send that stuff to my devil neighbor.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I figured out that when you get to the last part, you can still get your results safely. Here's what you do: Don't fill out any of the info on the last page, but when you get there, type in a new website and hit enter. Instead of automatically going there, it will come up with a window that asks if you're sure you want to go away. Click "cancel" and it'll give you your results without giving away any personal info.

Anonymous said...

I tried a fake address, and it told me to enter a real address, so I tried another one, and it said the same thing. So, then I put my old address (just my building number, not the apartment number) and it told me to enter apartment number. i sure feel dumb after doing that.

Anonymous said...

thanks.....
but i did get to subcribe b/c i was giving a fack adress and zip code......


THANKS anyways!?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

I never give personal info to any kind of website unless I trust the website... it's never that smart to give out personal info online.

Anonymous said...

Take a lesson kids.... don't give out personal info online!!!! It's a stupid thing to do!!!! GAH!!!

Anonymous said...

i know