Friday, February 09, 2007

DISA plans new top-secret presidential network

Before I left the Air Force I was recruited by the White House Communications Agency. I'd just gotten divorced and needed a life transplant, so I decided to separate from the military instead. I'm glad I did because I have a wonderful new family, but I still wonder what I missed out on. Looks like they are doing some fun stuff:

FCW.com News - DISA plans new top-secret presidential network: "The White House Communications Agency (WHCA) has developed a six-year plan budgeted at $35 million to beef up presidential communications with a new top-secret network and multimedia Crisis Management System (CMS) designed to operate in a wide range of fixed locations, on Air Force One and on a new fleet of presidential helicopters.

The WHCA also said it plans to begin research on development of communications systems that can operate in High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP)environments. HEMP, generated by a nuclear blast, can knock out most forms of radio communications.

The Defense Information Systems Agency, which manages WHCA, disclosed in its fiscal 2008 budget documents that the new top-secret network and CMS will provide the president, cabinet secretaries, and designated agency directors and their staffs with a secure, dedicated network capable of handling full motion video, voice graphics and data at 64 fixed and mobile locations. "

No comments: