Friday, August 24, 2007

An Accomplished Life

Some people make the most out of their precious time on earth, while others waste it away watching Futurama repeats and blogging.

A prime example is the case of one Brian May. When I grow up, I want to be a Doctor of Astrophysics and a Rock God just like him.

LONDON (AP)-Guitarist and songwriter Brian May has completed his doctorate in astrophysics-three decades after he put academia on hold to form the rock group Queen.

The rocker was awarded his qualification Thursday by London's Imperial College and said submitting his thesis, "Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud," to supervisors was as nerve-racking as any stadium gig.

"I'm feeling rather joyful. I cannot tell you how much of a weight off the mind it is," May said late Thursday.

May was an astrophysics student at Imperial College when he joined Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor to form Queen in 1970, but dropped his doctorate as the glam rock band became successful. Queen became one of Britain's biggest music groups in the 1970s, with hits including "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Will Rock You."

I could say much more about this, but Futurama is about to start.

1 comment:

George said...

To paraphrase a classic moment in film:

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a blogger, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Zoidberg."