Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Out In The West Texas Town Of El Paso


I'm in El Paso this week. "El Paso" of course is Spanish for "The Paso".


It's hot (99) and unusually humid, which means the evaporative coolers that many people around here use instead of a proper air conditioner aren't doing the job. My mother-in-law's house is one of these, which doesn't bother her since at 86 she likes it warm.


The water heater has just given out, which I don't mind since a cold shower was my only relief. Since I'm male and expected to know all about such things, I took a look at it the heater. It's a gas model with so many cautions and warnings of imminent death that I declined to touch it, and we called a repairman. Still waiting. Soon we have to leave and take her to the dentist, then over to Alltel to buy her a new cell phone. Vacations are so relaxing.


Hey, I just heard on the TV (which is usually running at same decibel level as a hovering Harrier jump jet) that there has been a gas line break in the area. Well, at least we know why the water heater went out now.

No comments: